Friday, December 6, 2013

#19 REDUXII Stout...


Second attempt at the chocolate stout. Have recently made the switch to drinking more stouts. Am assuming that this is the first sign of my seasonal affective disorder setting in. Really like a good roasty, rich, chocolate stout, which I have still yet to make. The first one was very low OG (thinking due to grain crushing issues) and fairly bland, but had some nice roastiness to it. Have given up on cocoa nibs for flavoring because I think they don't do much in the 3 beers that I used them in. Contemplated and read about using hot chocolate packets, but am going to try pure cocoa powder before I stoop to that level. 

Sidenote: bought some Terrapin Moo-Hoo milk chocolate stout to drink while making this. Normally, I have been very impressed with what they make (Wake n' bake, etc.); but this one falls way, way, way, way, short (IMO). It actually tastes similar to my "failed" first attempt. For shame Terrapin. Anyway, recipe below:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/89644/reduxii-stout

OG - 1.065, OB - 15.9

Low again from the estimate. Think a bit high on volume again, the new pot didn't seem to develop as vigorous a boil.

Will be bottling the X-mas beers next...

No comments:

Post a Comment