Friday, August 2, 2013

#1 - Wheat Wine (YINZ)

First batch officially done.

Despite all the lambic and mead talk I ended up deciding to try starting with something a little simpler. So I went with a super hopped, high-gravity wheat wine. I'm really happy because I have no idea how this one is going to turn out.

I've had very few wheat wines. The best was from Jackie O's in Athens, OH and was a honey wheat wine aged on bourbon barrels called "Wood Ya Honey". Sublime. 

There's also not a ton about making them other than some blog posts and an old article from Zymugy in 2007 or 2009 about crazy barleywines. Most have at least 50% wheat making up the malt bill (up to 100%), with the rest being 2-row, with a bit of vienna or crystal thrown in. So that's what I did.

Anyway here's the link to my recipe. http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/63313/yinz-wheat-wine

Forty-nine to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment