Wednesday, August 28, 2013

#6 - Galaxy IPA (YAMO)


Brewed the 2nd of the IPA single hop series tonight. Used Australian Galaxy hops:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/australian-galaxy-hop-pellets-1-oz.html

Should be good. Changed the malt bill slightly eliminating the biscuit malt and replacing it with wheat - Just to see what happens. Theoretically, should get better head retention and maybe(?) a slight change in body. 

Missed even bigger on the OG this time (11 brix / 1.044) and again got almost exactly one gallon out. Session IPA! 

However, I think I have figured this one out. Very little water was left after the mash despite using my usual 1 qt / lb that I normally use for a 5 gallons. Not sure if this is grain loss or just a consequence of small batch brewing. I even added 1/2 qt / lb to compensate for the lost volume that normally comes with the addition to raise the temperature for the mash. Also, I think that I am having some temperature control problems just trying to use the burner to raise the temperature that could've deactivated things. 

Next time we're going with a traditional all-grain step-infusion mash. Anyhow, recipe below:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/68030/yamo-ipa

Plan to bottle the wheat wine this weekend and maybe the first IPA. The lambic is chillin', and the mead is still fermenting...


No comments:

Post a Comment