Thursday, September 5, 2013

#7 - Mosaic IPA (OCOCOM)


On Labor day brewed the 3rd of the IPA single hop series. Probably going on a IPA hiatus for a bit.

Changed the malt bill again slightly for this one. Increased the wheat while decreasing the percentage of crystal. Hoping for something slightly light body, just have to see whether this small of a change results in something different. For the next one I think I'm going to get even more drastic and use 1/2 pilsner with 1/2 2 row for the backbone. This should lighten the color significantly and we'll see what else.

Excited about this one. I really like Mosaic hops (GLB - Alchemy Hour) and this one smelled great going into the bucket. Recipe below:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/68689/ococom-ipa
Brix - 16, OG - 1.065

Even more importantly I was much closer to the right OG this time (1.070 calculated). I used a step mash and hit 149 deg perfectly, no temperature fluctuations like I had when heating with the stove directly. Also the volume was perfect. The other factor that I think was contributing to the low OGs was the mill. I checked the grain after going through and I think my plates were set just a little too far apart. Cranked them down a bit and they were nicely crushed - Will have to remember to check this in the future. Only took 7 batches to get this process down...

No comments:

Post a Comment