Friday, October 11, 2013

#14 - Old Bruin(ish)



This is my first attempt at an Old Bruin. I say first because I've never made and Old Bruin before and attempt for several reasons:

1. Apparently "real" old Bruins (Petrus, Jackie O's, etc) are all extensively barrel aged for 20 months or more. No one got time for that. Well not 20 months. I plan on aging this one until it's time for the move.

2. The starter that I made from the Jackie O's has something in it. Not the usual yeast layer at the bottom that I get after culturing yeast, but a cloud floating in it. So something has grown, but not sure what. Also, it has bubbles (positive sign?)! I'm going to be adding the dregs of a Russian River that I'm drinking now to supplement as well. I emailed the Jackie O's people to see if the Chunga's Old Bruin could be cultured but they must be too busy making incredible beer to get back to me.

So, in summary. I have no idea what I 'm pitching into a beer I've never made. Plan B is to go pick up some White Labs Trappist tomorrow and just turn this into a Quad. The next beer is going to be a quad anyway so it might be good to have on hand.

Recipe below:

OB - 15, OG - 1.061

So this will be something...

No comments:

Post a Comment